Logo Sertox

Portal latinoamericano de toxicología

Florida: Instead of the eye drops the friend accidentally handed a woman fingernail glue

13 October, 2015
Mother-of-two, 28, was left blind in one eye after a friend accidentally handed her a bottle of GLUE instead of eye drops. By Snejana Farberov.dailymail.co.uk.October 08, 2015.
  • Katherine Gaydos, 28, of Florida, was involved in the freak accident last week
  • The single mother spent more than eight days with her left eye glued tightly shot 
  • She said a doctor turned her away because she could not pay for treatment 
A young Florida mother was left at least temporarily blind in one eye after mistakenly squirting nail glue on her eyeball.More than a week ago, Katherine Gaydos and a friend were clearing leaves from her West Palm Beach property with a leaf blower when a small piece of debris got in her left eye.Gaydos, 28, asked her companion to bring her a bottle of Visine from her purse, but instead of the eye drops the friend accidentally handed the woman fingernail glue. Scroll down for video 
Katherine Gaydos is pictured before her eyelids got glued shot,An unfortunate mix-up that left the Florida woman at least temporarily blind in one eye
Freak accident: Katherine Gaydos is pictured left before her eyelids got glued shot, and right after an unfortunate mix-up that left her at least temporarily blind in one eye

Eye wide shut: Gaydos, 28, from Florida, shows a reporter that try as she might, she cannot get her eyelids unstuck
Eye wide shut: Gaydos, 28, from Florida, shows a reporter that try as she might, she cannot get her eyelids unstuck



peaking to the station WPBF, Gaydos said she realized that something terrible had occurred the moment the sticky substance made contact with her eye.
‘As soon as I felt it burn, I closed my eye and screamed, called 911,’ she recalled.
When she went to seek medical help, a doctor told her she may have to undergo surgery and could lose her eye.
Gaydos returned to the doctor’s office Wednesday but was turned away because she did not have money to pay for additional treatment, she said.
Gaydos says she got some debris in her left eye last week and asked a friend to bring her a bottle of VisineInstead of the eye drops, the friend accidentally handed her fingernail glueEpic fail: Gaydos says she got some debris in her left eye last week and asked a friend to bring her a bottle of Visine. Instead of the eye drops, the friend accidentally handed her fingernail glue 
Bad news: The 28-year-old, who has two young children, sought medical attention and was told she could lose her eyeBad news: The 28-year-old, who has two young children, sought medical attention and was told she could lose her eye

Eight days after the accident, the single mother of two still has her left eye tightly shut.
‘I don’t know what to do,’ she said. ‘I don’t have a job, no insurance or any money.’
Gaydos was planning to go to a hospital emergency room Wednesday night in hopes of getting her eyelids unstuck.
According to a Thursday update from WPBF, Ms Gaydos’ left eye has since been unstuck.  
Emotional: Gaydor wept telling a reporter that she cannot afford to pay for her eye treatment Emotional: Gaydor wept telling a reporter that she cannot afford to pay for her eye treatment 


[retel]

Revista toxicológica en línea